Sunday, March 07, 2010

Its so frustrating!

Friday I sat for almost 16 hours playing poker and after all of that I finish the day $300 down.

I won't try and navigate you through the day only to say I just cannot get a handle on how things are played here to the point that I'm realising that it may be an impossible dream of mine to play poker, and make it pay, in the kind of environment I'm in.

Players have absolutely no respect for the $100 buy-in. If they have a semi sort of hand that hits bottom pair on the flop then they'll stay with it in the hope that it may improve. After all they called the first $30 raise and there's now all that money in the pot and its only gonna cost them another $70 to win a $400 pot!

I'm happy to see that my A-Ks gets 5 callers for $30 each but I'm not happy to see a flop of 8-9-10. I'm happy to get 3 callers for $50 each with me holding K-K but I'm not happy to see that dam Ace on the flop where there's an instant bet from across the table AND a call before it gets back to me. The winner of THAT particular pot showed A-5!! Dum dum!

But if I thought Friday was bad then Saturday was a nightmare!

I always look forward to heading in through the front doors and taking my seat at the table.

I've abandoned the $1/$2 tables as they're full of old grannies who see a $6 raise-it-up bet as a serious dent on they're pension in front of them so won't even bother to call so your good cards go to waste in that game. At least in the $2/$5 game they'll call...in numbers!

Anyway what I experienced today could only be described as the WORST poker playing day of my life so far. Never have I been involved in so many outdraws, suck-outs, bad-luck and piss poor cards as I experienced today.

If I had Q-Q the guy to my left had A-A. If I had K-K the guy across the table hit a set on the flop. If I had a straight on the flop the guy across the table would make a flush on the river. If I had a set then the guy across the table would make the straight on the river. If I had A-K and make a $75 bet I'd get 2 callers and one of my opponents would make bottom pair and win. And so it went.

I lost 2 $500 'lots', one by 1pm and the other by 8pm. My starting stack NEVER went above $200 and I may have well stood there with a sign asking people to belt me round the chops with a beat-up banjo for all the pain I took during the day. Indeed after losing my A-K to 6-4 o/s, after a $75 opening raise, I asked the guy if I stood on the table would he like to kick my goolies as I was losing the will to live. The table laughed...I didn't!

And so I retired for the day. I'm battered and bruised and my big dreams of success are now in tatters. I'm gonna take it easy tomorrow and play in the $2/$4 Omaha Hi-Lo game. At least there a hundred bucks should keep me amused for hours!


Start Bank = $3760
Win / Loss Fri/Sat = -$1300
Bank now = $2460

No comments: